What is Search Engine Optimization?
This guide will explain how sites are ranked so that you can improve your ranking in search results.
First here are some essential definitions:
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization which is the process of increasing traffic to your website by improving your ranking in organic search engine results.
Organic Search refers to search results that are not paid. Search engines determine the ranking of websites in search results based on editorial ranking factors to show the most relevant results at the top.
Paid Search refers to the results that appear above organic search results and are labelled as “Ad”.
Organic results simply refers to search engine results that are not ads.
The first page of Google results accounts for around 71.33% of organic clicks, with page two and three getting just 5.59%. Getting a first-page rank for a high demand keyword is not easy and in some cases not even obtainable! But with the right approach, the right content and time, SEO can help you attain first page rankings for relevant keywords.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is composed of the following stages:
- Analysis of your existing web pages and of your competitors’ pages.
- Analysis of keywords to determine which would be most appropriate/relevant for your visitors to use when searching for your services or products.
- Analysis of keyword data from Google tools including the number of searches per month (search volume) in your target region and the number of other sites using each keyword (competition). Choosing a main keyword to focus on for pages that could potentially bring in search traffic.
- On-site optimization to include those keywords on your site, to verify that your site is easy to spider by search engines and that it adheres to best practices (mobile-friendly, fast loading, up to date sitemap etc).
- Creation of new useful content related to your keywords.
- Authority building to attract other sites to link to your site.
- Monitoring and reporting on your position in the search engines.
- Regular statistical analysis of your website to improve the site.